Friday, January 13, 2012

Getting Started

After months of decisions and discussions, I made the decision to apply for a teaching position in Abu Dhabi, United Arabs Emirates. 

I successfully won a contract to work for the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) on December 2, 2011.  After all of the intital excitement and my family getting over the shock that after Christmas I would be gone (I don't think they really thought this adventure would happen), I got started moving my life 7000 miles around the world. 

Oh the packing, selling, giving away, storing and running around were a fabulous rush that I hadn't expected.  And yes, in only 2 weeks I successfuly emptied my apartment of 10 years and packed myself into 3 suitcase and 2 carry ons waiting for the orders to come through to get on the plane to head over.

I temporarily moved into my Mom and Dad's.  Christmas was a wonderful time spending with my family knowing that next Christmas I will be working and living a life I never thought I would get to experience.  And then the waiting started.  New Year's came and went, still no departure date.  But I continued to read about my new home and my teaching, practicing flexibility and patience as was recommended by our recruiters, American International Development Council (AIDC).

1 comment: